CHEM-JOINT 35 is an epoxy based joint sealant suitable for control and construction joints through epoxy floor coatings, epoxy overlays such as self-leveling, floor screed etc. The product is suitable for horizontal surfaces, indoor and outdoor applications. It is suitable for low movement slab cracks. CHEM-JOINT 35 Will not “WELD” pavement together.
CHEM-JOINT 35 can be used for industrial and commercial applications like:
- 100% solids (solvent-free).
- Easy application, pourable.
- 126% elongation.
- Easy mix and 1:1 ratio by volume.
- Flows into joints as small 1/16th inch (1.5 mm)
- Prevents joint sidewall chipping and spalling.
Technical Data for Unmixed Parts
|Property @ 25°C (77°F)
||Resin – Part A
||Hardener – Part B
||Test – Method
|Density, Lb/Gal (Kg/L)
|Mixing Ratio A: B
||1 : 1 By Volume
Technical Data for Mixed Parts
|Property (Mixed A & B)
||Value @ 25°C (77°C)
|Mixed Density, Lb/Gal (kg/L)
|Mixed Viscosity, cPs
|Gel Time @ 60 grams, minute
|Pot Life @ 11 Lb (5 kg), Minute
|Shore Hardness @ 3 Days, A
|Tensile Strength to Concrete, Psi (MPa)
|Bond Strength to Steel, Psi (MPa)
|Water Absorption 24 hrs, %
||< 0. 07
|Elongation (Average), %
|Final Cure, day
Chemical Resistance: Tests are performed according the ASTM D543 –Practice A (Immersion test for 7 days at 25°C)
The fully cured material is resistant to:
- Water (Distilled, Tap, chlorinated, sewage, sea)
- Sulfuric acid 50%wt
- Caustic Soda, 50%wt
- Phosphoric acid, 85%
- Hydrochloric Acid, 38 %wt
- Hydraulic Oil
Refer to manufacturer for resistance of other reagents.
- Application at ambient temperatures below 10°C is not recommended.
- Exposure to temperatures exceeding 65°C for prolonged periods is not recommended.
- Do not use with backer rods or bond breaker tapes.
- Do not use in high movement expansion joints.
- Never use solvents to thin this material.
Surface Preparations: Surface of application should be clean and sound. The surface must be free of any dust, oil, grease, laitance, curing compounds or any other contaminants. It may be dry, damp or wet but must be free of standing water. The very best results are obtained on dry concrete.
The minimum age of the concrete must be 28 days. Material should be installed when building is under constant temperature control.
The epoxy coatings, epoxy overlays such as self-leveling and mortar screeds must be completed and the control construction joints saw cut grooves should be thoroughly cleaned. This is normally achieved with the use of a concrete saw having either a diamond or other abrasive blade. The cleaning should be extended to the bottom of the initial saw cut and be performed in such a manner that the joint sidewalls are freed from foreign debris.
After initial cleaning, joints should be thoroughly blown out with oil-free compressed air to remove all dust.
- Joint width: 1/16th inch (1.5 mm) to ½ inch (12 mm) wide
- Minimum joint depth: 12/16th inch (19 mm) depth
- 1 inch (25.4 mm) depth preferred
Coverage: For a joint of ½ inch (12.7 mm) width and 1 inch (25.4 mm) depth, 2 Gallons (7.57 liters) of CHEM-JOINT 35 will fill approximately linear 25.66 yards (23.46 meters) of joint.
Mixing: Stir each component separately prior to mixing. Mix one part “A” with one part “B” by volume into a clean mixing container. Mix the epoxy with a slow speed drill with a mixing paddle attachment. Carefully scrape the sides and bottom of the pail during mixing. Blend for 3 minutes. Mix only the amount of material that can be used within pot life.
Note: Large batches of epoxy will cure much faster than small batches. Mixed epoxies will cure much faster in hot weather than in cold weather.
Application: Application of CHEM-JOINT 35 may be poured into the prepared joint out of the mixing container with “V” lip edge, but the best results are obtained by using bulk load caulking guns. Fill joints to full depth. After 25 minutes has elapsed, the filled joints should be inspected for low spots due to seepage. Top-off these areas with neat material.
Silica Sand 1.2-1.7 mm may be poured before CHEM-JOINT 35 application, to the bottom of the joint to prevent the material from running through shrinkage cracks at the bottom of the joint. In all cases the minimum ¾ inch (19 mm) of epoxy must be maintained as joint depth.
CHEM-JOINT 35 is designed to relieve stress to the slabs. This prevents concrete fractures while protecting the joint edges. The seal may be repaired by cleaning out any debris, blowing out the void with oil free compressed air, and re-filling the void with new CHEM-JOINT 35.
- Repair Random Cracks: Route cracks out to a depth of at least ¾ inch (19 mm), but one inch (25 mm) is preferred. Blow the dust out of crack with oil free compressed air. Follow instruction above for neat joint sealant.
- Epoxy Mortar Repairs: For use when the joints are greater than 12 mm width. Prime the surface with neat CHEM-JOINT 35. Add up to 3 parts by volume Silica Sand 0.3-0.8 mm to one part by volume CHEM-JOINT 35 binder. Place the mortar into the joint before the primer loses its tack. Compact and finish the mortar with trowel.
Curing: CHEM-JOINT 35 for one day before allowing light traffic and 7 days before allowing full traffic and chemical exposure.
- Store all materials at 70°F (21°C) during application and for at least 2 days prior to use. Low temperatures will increase viscosity of the product causing poor coverage and retarded cure.
- Substrate temperature must be no lower than 10°C during installation and during the full 3 to 5-day cure of the floor.
Cleaning: all tools, equipment and re-usable containers should be cleaned up immediately using CHEM-CRETE BLENDED SOLVENTS, M.E.K. or Xylene.
The product should be stored in a cool, dry storage. Stir the container before use. Do not store at temperatures below 5°C or in direct sunlight. Product shelf life is minimum 24 months in its original unopened container.
LIMITED WARRANTY: International Chem-Crete Inc. warrants that, at the time and place we make shipment, our materials will be of good quality and will conform to our published specifications in force on the date of acceptance of the order.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is included for illustrative purposes only and, to the best of our knowledge, is accurate and reliable. International Chem-Crete Inc. is not under any circumstances liable to connection with the use of information. As International Chem-Crete Inc. has no control over the use to which others may put its products, it is recommended that the products be tested to determine the suitability for specific applications and/or our information is valid in particular circumstances. Responsibility remains with the architect or engineer, contractor and owner of the design, application and proper installation of each product. Specifier and user shall determine the suitability of the product for specific application and assume all responsibility in connection therewith. AM29319.